Lateral knee pain
The most common syndromes are:
• iliotibial tract friction syndrome,
• tendinitis of the biceps femoris,
• rupture of the (lateral) collateral band,
• rupture of the (lateral) meniscus.
In the sports medical literature also other syndromes with lateral knee pain are described and short descriptions of these syndromes are made:
• popliteus tendinitis,
• (lateral) meniscal cyst,
• dislocation of the proximal fibula,
• meralgia paraesthetica.
Less common differentials are:
• bursitis under the iliotibial tract or biceps tendon,
• synovial hemangioma,
• osteoarthritis of the lateral compartment of the knee.