Dutch History Index: References
[ Gateways |
Libraries and catalogues |
[ Institutions : |
History departments |
Historical societies ]
Source materials : |
Databases and statistics |
Paintings and drawings ]
[ Periods : |
Early modern |
[ Topics : |
Science and technique |
Local and regional |
Gateways to Dutch history
Libraries and catalogues
- The PICA Open Library Network (OBN) offers access to information sources within all the important libraries in the Netherlands and national databases.
- The Dutch Central Catalogue (NCC) contains bibliographic references and the locations of approximately 14 million books and almost 500,000 periodicals in more than 400 libraries in The Netherlands. The database is updated directly and continuously.
- Online Contents (OLC) contains references to all articles that appear in over 15.000 current periodicals. This database contains mostly academic journals, but also general and non-specialist periodicals are included. These journals can be found in the collections of Dutch libraries. The database is built on the basis of the tables of contents of each separate issue.
The Online Contents OLC database was started in September 1992. Updating takes place on a daily basis, so that annually, more than 2 million article references are added.
- Leiden University Library
- History in Titles (HinT) is a bibliography on Western European history starting from 1500, philosophy of history, historical methodology and historiography. The database contained at 1. January 2000 about 50,000 references. HinT contains references to books, articles from periodicals and anthologies, published since 1984 in Dutch, English, German, French, Italian and Spanish. To the references subject headings, personal names, geographical names, systematic codes and period information are added.
HinT is a very valuable resource, but unfortunately users need an account and password. For more information, click here
- The Repertory of the History of The Netherlands is a bibliography of Dutch and foreign publications on the history of the Netherlands, the former Dutch colonies and the current Dutch territories overseas. According to a number of search criteria, titles on different subject areas are described, from national to local and from prehistory to the present day. Systematic categorizing codes as well as persons' names and place names have been added to the descriptions as subject headings. On top of that, publications which appeared during or after 1996 contain key words and information regarding the period which they cover.
The database contains:
- Publications from 1992 to the present day. These years are being processed and are now partially available. The file is updated on a weekly basis.
- Publications which appeared between 1975-1986. These titles, which originate from the printed volumes, have been added to the database by means of retrospective digitalization.
- In the coming years titles from the volumes 1987-1991 and 1940-1974 will be added in phases. The retrospective digitalization is carried out by and with support of the NIWI (Dutch institute for academic information).
The Repertory is a very valuable resource, but unfortunately users need an account and password. For more information, click here
- The Online Public Catalogue
of the International Institute of Social History
- The tables of contents of virtually all Dutch history journals can be looked at by using Online Contents (OLC) or History in Titles (HinT). You need, however, an account and password to make use of these databases.
- Itinerario. European Journal of Overseas History. Homepage with tables of content and in links to some online articles.
- Het Historisch Nieuwsblad is een tweemaandelijks magazine over geschiedenis en het historisch bedrijf. Met nieuws, achtergrondartikelen en uitgebreide servicepagina's, waaronder een boeken- en tijdschriftenrubriek en een agenda met historische lezingen, congressen en tentoonstellingen.
- Tijdschrift voor Sociale Geschiedenis. Homepage of the Dutch journal of social history, with tables of contents and English summaries of articles.
- Historisch Tijdschrift Groniek. Nieuwe nummers on-line. A journal made by history students of the State University of Groningen. Not up to date.
- De Achttiende Eeuw Not up to date.
- Ons Amsterdam. The journal on the history of Amsterdam. With tables of content.
- Dutch Crossing, A Journal of Low Countries Studies is a multidisciplinary scholarly journal, devoted to all aspects of Low Countries studies, and with effect from 1997 has become the journal of the Association for Low Countries Studies. Its areas of specialization are Dutch language and literature, history and art history, and the social sciences. Coverage includes both the Netherlands and Belgium, as well as relations between the Low Countries and the English-speaking world in all periods from the Middle Ages to the present day. All articles are in English. Tables of content and summaries.
About the Dutch History Index
The Dutch History Index is made of different pages which are always
under construction. You will find Virtual Resources produced in the Netherlands together
with world-wide resources dealing with Dutch history.
The Dutch History Index was created in September 2000.
WWW VL and the WWW VL History Network
The World Wide Web Virtual Library is a collection of subject related
Websites maintained by institutions throughout the world, each administering a
different subject. The project is now managed by an independent committee made
up of maintainers of various subject areas. For more information on the WWW VL
Main Project, go to [ http://www.vlib.org/AboutVL.html ] and for more information on
the History Network Project, go to [ http://www.ukans.edu/history/VL/about/about.html ]
About the Maintainer
The site is managed by Thimo de Nijs [Thimo.de.Nijs@planet.nl].
Please direct your notices of new URL's or
inoperative links to him here.
Last updated the 29th of January 2001.